Days at the Morisaki Bookshop by Satoshi Yigasawa : A Book Review

What happens when heartbreak takes you to a bookshop?

For Takako, it leads to Morisaki Bookshop, a dusty second-hand store tucked away in Tokyo’s famous book district, Jimbocho. Battling heartbreak and the uncertainties of her mid-twenties, she moves in with her uncle Satoru and, slowly, begins to rebuild her life.

The story itself is simple: a young woman finds new friends, discovers new writers and gradually reclaims her own narrative. But what makes this little book so soulful is the way Yagisawa captures the quiet magic of books and the people who love them.


And then there is the smell of old books. That unmistakable, musty fragrance of a second-hand bookshop seems to seep through every page. As Takako begins reading, books slowly become her refuge. Reading becomes more than an escape. It becomes a way of seeing, feeling and understanding the world.

“When I'm sad, I read. I can go on reading for hours. Reading quiets the turmoil I feel inside and brings me peace.”

The story unfolds through a series of episodes, delicately weaving together warmth, vulnerability, and the unspoken bonds that connect its characters.

When Takako meets her uncle after a long time, Satoru tells her:

“All this time I was expecting a schoolgirl in uniform, but at some point, I guess, you must’ve grown up.”

Perhaps there is no warmer way for an uncle to say, I missed you. It is memory, affection and longing wrapped into a single sentence—the warmest hug Takako receives in her difficult twenties.


Elsewhere in the story, a heated exchange sets Satoru and Takako off on a journey across the city, where she is finally compelled to confront the grief buried within her. Closure arrives not with a grand revelation, but through exhaustion, silence and acceptance. Their return to Morisaki Bookshop becomes almost meditative, beautifully captured in the writer’s understated prose.

"In the taxi on the way home, we barely said anything. My uncle, having exhausted all his energy, lay lumped in the back seat. I sat beside him, set free at last from my anxieties, lost in my own thoughts."

There are a million reasons why we love books. Discovering those reasons is a pleasure; finding the words for them is another kind of joy. And Satoru perhaps puts the essence of reading most beautifully:

“I don’t think it really matters whether you know a lot about books or not… what matters far more with a book is how it affects you.”

That, for me, is the heart of Morisaki Bookshop.

It is a book about books, bookshops, readers and the quiet ways stories can heal us. A gentle, comforting read that stays with you like a happy memory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dive into Seasons : Monsoon Diaries

!!!!!! Chakyaar Chants !!!!

Reliving a lost time : a dive into seasons